It was designed by Fairmount Park Chief Engineer, Herman Schwarzman for the Centennial of 1876. President Ulysses S. Grant presided over the dedication ceremony. It is known for its distinctive dome with the poetic symbol of the United States, Columbia, adorning the top. The figures at the end of the main facade symbolize industry and commerce. In 1877, it served at the city’s first Philadelphia Museum of Art. (Source: Wikipedia, The Fairmount Park Organization)
Memorial Hall is now presently home to the Please Touch Museum.